The Wes Smythe Award for a Community and Rugby League Project
The objective of this award is to encourage partnerships between researchers and rugby league communities to assist and enhance the operations of the latter.
The Award will honour the memory of Wes Smythe, who was a keen supporter of the Tom Brock Lecture. The Smythe family donated some money for this award.
Project topics could include, but not be limited to, the following:
- the creation of resources including documents and their arrangement in archives
- research that will contribute to a publication
- an oral history project
- the establishment of a collection of photographs
- the development of a website
- This award will operate from July to June of each year.
- The award will be worth $2000.
- The closing date for applications for the 2023–24 award will be 31 May 2023.
- The Committee’s decision will be made public by 30 June and all applicants will be notified of the result.
- A successful applicant will be paid $500 at the time of the award and the balance of $1500 will be paid at the end of the project and the submission of a short report on outcomes to the Committee
While the Tom Brock Scholarship targets postgraduate students and early career academics, this award is open to individuals who are not professional academics, researchers or historians.
Evidence of a partnership with an individual club or community will enhance an application.
Applications are now open. Please complete the online form to apply.